vogue 8959 v8959This project knocks out two goals with one stone. First goal: a cape! I have been scoping out different cape patterns for a while. I really like the Woodland Stroll cape from Oliver + S and like any self-respecting craft hoarder I even own the pattern. I planned on making that with some velvet I picked up at a second hand store. Tragedy struck and there was not enough velvet to make it.  Flash forward to a pattern sale at a certain big box store… an enticement that is always too much of a draw for me. Vogue patterns were on super sale and that leads me to the second goal: complete a Vogue pattern. I feel like the Vogue patterns are always a bit more complex and have beautiful finishing details. This one is a Very Easy Vogue but I still think it counts!

vogue 8959 v8959

vogue 8959 v8959

PATTERN NOTES

This pattern is V8959 and has more of a vintage style to it than the Woodland. I am really into the big collar, and flared drape. I made view A – I like the mid-length but I am short so I went with the shortest option. With a 37″ bust I choose the Large size. I wear a size 6 in street clothes.

The only problem I ran into was I wish the lining was a little longer. You hem the lining up 1.25″ and the cape 5/8″. I would hem the lining more like 1″ or even 7/8″ sew I could have slip stitched it to the top of the shell’s hem.

vogue 8959 v8959

WHAT I DID

The fabric is from a big box. It is like 100% petroleum or acrylic or whatever suiting but it hangs like a dream. It reminds me of houndstooth. I also picked it because the scale was small enough to not look crazy at the seams. I used a red and white polka dot for the lining for contrast. I am very pleased with my choices!

The front fit well but the shoulders and back were crazy. I took out about 4″ total from the sides/arm and also changed the shape. I took about about 5″ from each back seam.

The left side has the original seam. The right side has fullness pinned.
The left side has the original seam. The right side has fullness pinned.

I pinned at the shoulder edge and then pinched out the fullness down through my arm. I marked the new stitching line with my trusty water soluble and then laid tracing paper over the fabric.

image

I traced the original pattern shape and then roughed out the new stitching line. I used pattern rulers to smooth out the curve.

image

I cut the shape out and used it like a template to draw the stylized line onto the actual fabric.

image

Then I sewed on that line and trimmed the seam allowance. I did the same for the back seams. I took care to not change the seam allowance at the neck line so I would not have to redesign the collar piece.

While trimming the bottom hem at the front I snipped the lining like a rank amateur. Because the lining was too short there was about 1/2″ left unfinished at the bottom front corners of the main fabric. I was pinking that and cut right into the lining hem. I used the automatic mending stitch to put the cut back together. I, of course, did not have any red thread and used the white that I already in the machine. I was terribly sad at this turn of events as it happened while I was totally finished. Luckily, I had one extra button and sewed it over the bad spot! So now it is there if I loose a button and no one has to know I broke one of the cardinal rules of sewing! (Never put the blade over fabric you don’t want cut.)

image

 

Final verdict: A success!!!!

1 COMMENT

LEAVE A REPLY