Full disclosure: I pattern tested this for Initial K Studio. The fabric is from my own stash though. The pattern is now available from one of my favorite fabric design houses, Robert Kaufman. The cover pattern is made with Kona White and a 2014 New Colors Roll Up. You can get the kit here.
I loved the modern feel of this pattern right away. I had the pattern out on my table and B saw it and said, “Oh wow is this your next project? I really like this one.” That is huge! He also said it looked like a modern tornado and suggested changing the pattern name to Tormodo, which was not huge.
I pattern tested the mini/baby version so those instructions are wonderful. I did make a huge rookie mistake when chain piecing the rows together. The first step is piecing pairs together. I totally did not pay attention to what I was doing and ended up piecing the pairs upside down and then pieced them all together.
I ended up with a weird mirror image version seen below. It is kind of hard to spot the difference but it was the middle area that looked the weirdest to me.
WHAT I DID
I agonized over my fabric choices for starters. I ordered the fabrics as stated by the pattern and the delivery time was terribly slow. I finished the quilt before the fabric even got to me. Instead I pulled from my stash. I pulled a mess of fabric and literally laid it out on my floor going back and forth until I liked all of the colors together. Planning the colors was the hardest/longest part of making this quilt. The careful planning was well worth it to me in the end.
I stuck with solids except for one print from my favorite line: Architextures by Carolyn Friedlander in Curry. My background is Kona Ivory. I liked it more than the white because it blended with my fabrics more and also lent a cool 70s vibe. I am not really sure of the origin for the colors in my quilt. I know some of them are Kona, like the Bordeaux and Burgandy, mainly because those are recent purchases.
I also used some of my all-time favorite fabric to use: Essex Linen and Essex Yarn Dyed Linen. This adds so much visually interest and texture to the quilt. I have used it quite a bit and most recently in my Akhaten and Tangelo quilts. In this quilt I used Flax (yarn dyed) Med. Aqua and Jungle. I love sewing with these linen blends! They sew up super nice by holding shape and not threading!
I straight-lined quilted this and it went really fast! After trimming it came out to a solid 39″ by 48″. My quilt skewed a bit but the in-pattern sewing note helped tremendously.
Final verdict: This quilt comes together fast and the result is dynamic. You can customize
it in so many ways. This was also a great way to use stash in a new way. I had everything I needed just sitting around. You must, however, stay organized and keep the chart handy to avoid making mistakes.