Two months into sewing with only what I have, the plan is starting to pay off! My sewing room was jammed up with all my treasures and I am starting to put plans into action. This quilt started with a vintage hexie quilt a friend found and picked up for me: vintage hexagon quilt

It is all wrinkly right now not just because that is my modus operandi but also because I am still screwing up the courage to use a hot iron on it. There are all sorts of different kinds of fabrics in there. I also ran it through an OxiClean bath. I filled my bathtub up with the hottest water possible and dumped in 3 scoops of OxiClean. Then I put this top in and smashed it down in the water. I lightly agitated it but mostly let it soak. Man, the water was so foul and gross after an hour. The top did not even look that nasty! I was really surprised. I did one more cycle. Then I squished the water out and gently lifted it out of the tub taking care not to put too much pressure on the wet stitches. Then I ran it through a extra gentle rinse and spin in my front-loader and dried it. It looks super great now!

My initial thought was to add a single pomegranate to the bottom right corner in a nod to some paintings I’ve seen around that take old junky landscapes and then paint like robots fishing or have collages decoupaged on them. I drew a picture and worked on it forever in my sketch book and then had it enlarged at a print sheet to about 2’x3′.

image

Then I cut it out of two fabrics:

image

I could tell right away it was not my original vision. The x fabric was not the correct scale and, blown up, the pomegranate needed more of the wine color to make the round shape. I laid it out anyways on top and showed my design group. They offered many great suggestions! Turns out the x fabric, which I thought would really pop, actually blended too much into the top.

vintage hexie modern quilt applique

I changed the pom design based on the feedback from my group: adding more of the wine fabric into the design. I also redid the top part of the pom. It looked too much like Sideshow Bob. I also changed the view to like the pom had been sliced down the middle. I was originally going for more of a chunk taken out look that was not translating.

vintage hexie modern quilt applique

And then I added even more!!!! And nixed the x fabric for my special hoarded Alexander Henry Mwamba Abstract!!!

vintage hexie modern quilt applique

More to come!

NO COMMENTS

LEAVE A REPLY