I try to reevaluate my sewing studio as often as possible. I also strive to keep it tidy but things start piling up and get fast stashed until you have something like this:
I share my sewing room with B. That is his computer work desk. We also have three bikes hung up on the wall to the right.
What I liked about my room is the Ikea Malm desk with the pull out panel. It is about 2′ by 6′ and perfect for having your machine and small cutting station. I use the pull out part as my ironing station and I would never get that up for anything! I did begin to accumulate notion-type things that began taking over the desk but I did not have any where else to put them. Headphone case, upcoming project patterns, spray bottles, pattern weights, etc. All sorts of stuff!
My problem areas were the Ikea Expedit (now Kallax) was buckling under the weight of all my treasures. I put it on casters, which was a mistake. It added pressure points and was bowing towards thee middle. The shelf was also really deep. I could only used about half of the depth or else I would not be able to see what was in there! The depth also made it tough to go between the desk and the shelf and pull things out to look at, as you do. There was a nice flat top that allowed for storage of odds and ends but, as you can see, all I did was take advantage of that aspect. Junk City.
I simultaneously loved my design wall and did not use it at the same time. Its height made it difficult for me to use it as anything other than a pin board. The landscape orientation was impractical for actually planning quilt layouts.
I turned my desk 90 degrees to allow easier access to the sitting area. I replaced the Expedit with Billy bookshelves. Those are a much better depth at 11″ for fabric on cards. There is also a back piece to keep everything on the shelf. The half-sized bookshelves are perfect for the project bins I currently use. They fit perfectly into the shelf.
I put all of my rolled pattern pieced in a trash can without a lid. I mounted my ruler holder onto the wall with angled brackets. Everything is so accessible now!
Here is a memorizing before and after:
I also moved the design wall to another area and was able to mount in portrait orientation. I am really excited about this and already used it to photograph a quilt. This design wall is made with one piece of foam insulation board and wrapped in batting. I used Oh, Fransson!’s tutorial and it worked like a charm. It can hold up baby quilts with no pins! I cannot wait to actually get to use it now for block layouts. Obviously I immediately decided I need to add even more design space to this wall and I will update this post when I do!
I am so glad I took the time to redo this space. I am so inspired already!