tangelo quilt modern

This quilt was done using the Tangelo pattern by the super awesome Carolyn Friedlander. I recommend this pattern for anyone interested in learning to paper piece. I love paper piecing but it can be intimidating at first. Once you get the hang of it though it becomes super addicting.

Some people do not like how much waste is created when you paper piece and this pattern offers a great solution. Carolyn took the time to write out cutting directions that maximize the fabric you are using. Using her method you end up with parallelograms that cover the triangles and lead to minimal trimming.

I used the throw size directions and my quilt, after quilting and binding, came out to 63×76 inches. If I was to do it over I would have at least one more big column and a few extra rows. You could easily do this with how the templates come together.

PATTERN NOTES

The picture on the front of the pattern is opposite of the diagram in the actual pattern. The pattern uses three different template sets (A, B, and C) so I labeled the front picture with A1, B1, C1, A2, etc. to help me plan for the fabrics.

I made the throw size so the below notes only pertain to that size.

The cutting directions were a tad confusing to me. They give total numbers for the different template sets (A, B, and C) instead of how many strip sets to cut for each fabric if you are using a different fabric for each column (A1, B1. C1, A2, etc.). If you were using just three different fabrics, one for A, one for B, and one for C, you can use the cutting directions as is. I modified the directions so I could use a different fabric for each column. In the end I strip cut as below:

For Template A Blocks: 3 strips each of 4 different fabrics.

For Template B Blocks: 3 strips each of 6 different fabrics.

For Template C Blocks: 3 strips each of 2 different fabrics.

I ended up with extra fabric sub cut, which is not the worst thing ever.

In the sub cutting directions the pattern again gives totals as if you were only using three different fabrics. I cut as below:

A-Rows: 24 sub cuts of each different fabric.

B-Rows: 27 sub cuts of each different fabric.

C-Rows: 21 sub cuts of each different fabric.

The diagrams for cutting the parallelograms are intimidating at first but are accurate and you just follow the directions. I ended up cutting some of the background strips wrong and they were mirror-flipped to the correct angle. They still totally worked. If you cut exactly how she writes to there is limited, if any, trimming to be done. If you are impatient and throw caution to the wind as I did and end up with flipped angle ones you will have to trim but the pieces are completely usable.

I ran into a complication while at a retreat piecing this thing. I ran out of background. This may have been my fault. I only needed like one more strip and I am not sure if I cut something wrong, did not buy the right amount or if the pattern shorted the measurement. Out of necessity, I used some Essex Linen my friend had extra of at the retreat. I love how that came out!

WHAT I DID

This quilt was my first push and putting together something with my own color combination. I had up until this quilt been using precuts with whole lines included. I actually bought the Glimma by Lotta Jansdotter line and planned on using that in this quilt exclusively. Prior to beginning this quilt I finished the Fat Quarter Shop’s Vintage Modern Block of the Month and was kind of bummed at the finished results. I felt like anyone could have made it. Here is a terrible picture of mine. As I was getting ready for Tangelo I had two epiphanies: 1) Whole line quilts are not my thing; and 2) I needed to get over not cutting into my hoarded stash.

I did use four fabrics from Glimma, cut into my special arrow fabric, used three Denyse Schmidt fabics from her DS quilt line and used the 1000 Cranes fabric from a disastrous Staple Dress I made (hint: don’t use hospital gown fabric on a simple dress pattern). The stripe that pulls it all together is a weird thin fabric I got a a discount store.

Tangelo Detail

I quilted it on a long arm. I was unsure about leaving the flags unquilted but I wanted to feature the different fabrics. I ended up liking that but I know leaving some of the bigger triangles unquilted is not for everyone. I alternated the wavy lines to keep from going insane.

I entered this into the 2015 Dallas Quilt Celebration. It is a probably too modern for that crowd but every single point on this is perfect! I could not believe it. I cut off points ALL THE TIME and not one of time did I do that on this quilt! I think the way Carolyn has you cut out the pieces makes the bias work for you. I also entered it into QuiltCon 2015 but I, crushingly, cannot compete for ribbons in that one.

Final verdict: this is a great pattern and you will obtain perfect points! As always, I wish I would have made it bigger but that would be an easy fix. I liked the strip cutting method used because it was so efficient. Buy a little extra background fabric!

NO COMMENTS

LEAVE A REPLY